Apples, particularly crab apples (Malus) are particularly well suited for bonsai. They are found in almost every bonsai collection. Apples are good for entry into the hobby Bonsai.
Advantages of apples for bonsai
- Many apple species, but especially the ornamental apple varieties, blooming abundantly as bonsai
- Apple bonsai develop after flowering many fruits. They often hang long on the tree
- Rapid growth with good growth in thickness. You'll quickly develop good stems or branches
- Perfect wound closure. Even large wounds closed quickly after pruning the apple bonsai
- Abundant bud formation after drastic pruning. It is important to establish a fine branching
The following apple species are often offered as bonsai
- Wild Apple (Malus sylvestris) - flowers white - pink
- Japanese mountain apple, Toringo crab apple (Malus toringo) - white flowers, yellow fruit
- Malus halliana - pink flowers
- Nagasaki crab apple (Malus cerasifera) - pink buds, white blossom, red fruits
Apples love full sun as bonsai and are very hardy.